Woodland Adventure Club
An exciting holiday club based nr Exeter
NOW OPEN for Summer 2020 bookings. School holidays can be boring – but not when they’re wild! Give your child a chance to explore the great outdoors in a safe, supported environment with our very special ‘Woodland Adventure Club’. Our Forest School Holiday Club is the THE most exciting club around. We are conveniently based in beautiful woodland at Grammarcombe Woods, Ashcombe Estate, near Exeter.
Next Holiday Dates
Summer holidays 2020
Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 28th July – 2nd September
Book in 3 day block ONLY
October Half Term 2020
Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 27th – 29th October
How Much Does It Cost?
3 day booking 9.00am – 5.00pm
First child – £100
Sibling rate – £94
Single day (Oct 1/2 term ONLY) 9.00am – 5.00pm
First child – £35 a day per child
Sibling rate – £33 a day per child
How Do I Book?
“Check availability” to be taken to the website calendar and book the date(s) you require. (If you are booking a number of dates, please contact us as we can send you a link to make a “block booking”) Please note that online booking will close at least 48 hours before the day so do book well in advance.
What others have to say...
When I did my necklace, When i was picking up flowers and making them smell nice – by rubbing them between my fingers. Pink and purple and some mint.
Childs favourite parts of the day – WAC
Compared to other holiday clubs that my son has taken part it, this is by far the best. All other care seems too removed from the basic needs of children, which I believe are to be in a natural environment. Since my son left he is constantly looking around with his owl eyes and listening with his Deer Ears and spotting tracks and spiders and other wonders of our natural habitat.
Went in the hammock and pond dipping and I picked up tadpoles and fish eggs. When we sat out in the sun having our lunch, we can hear the birds sing and see the cows and hear them mooing.
Childs favourite parts of the day at Woodland Adventure Club
We had marshmallows on the campfire and we had a story.
Childs favourite parts of the day at Woodland Adventure Club
After the first day my 6 year old said he wanted to go the the Woodland Adventure Club everyday for the whole holiday, so I’m guessing he liked it! The staff were also very accommodating and inclusive of my older son who has a mobility disability. A great holiday club.
Today I did drawing in the long grass with the grass hoppers. My friend came over to play with me and then we all gathered up an played an animal game. The first time I was a puppy, the second a monkey and the third I was a tiger. We all went back to eat to get our lunch and then we went where we where before, next to the pond where we had our lunch. And then I got loads of prickles on my feet and then we went back to the campfire
Diary of my week, Farragh Elesedy from Summer.
A lovely fun filled day in the woods. My son attended 3 sessions and did different activities on each day. There wasn’t a DVD, Xbox or DS in sight!!
Sophia had a fantastic three days at WAC. She loved all the experiences and really relished the opportunity to do some activities such as wood carving and fire lighting that allowed her to be responsible. The helpers were all incredibly patient, calm, friendly and knowledgeable . I would definitely recommend the experience for boys and girls. Thank-you!
Thank you to Phil and his team, the children all had a wonderful day and are looking forward to coming again
Persephone Hellier Oct 14
What we do
Woodland Adventure Club is an outdoors holiday club set in beautiful woodland at Grammarcombe Woods, Ashcombe Estate, near Exeter.
We are opening up bookings for the summer holidays to book for a 3 day block only, as we will create ‘bubbles’ of children for the week. Places are likely to book up quickly, as we are popular!
With guidance from our expert outdoors staff, youngsters learn bushcraft skills like fire lighting and green woodwork, discover new things in nature, enjoy the bugs, animal tracks and wild places and more. With a maximum of 15 kids each day, they will gain new skills, increase in confidence and self esteem and develop a greater connection to the natural world. Our experienced Forest School Leaders make sure that every youngster at Woodland Adventure Club enjoys a unique woodland experience. Woodland Adventure Club is suitable for ages 5+ (must have turned 5 in the September before joining us).
There’s so much to do, we can’t list it all – but this gives you an idea of the fun in store.
- Lighting campfires using fire steels
- Cooking over the campfire – from vegetarian choices to camping favourites
- Monkeying about in hammocks in our woodland playground
- Building great adventure dens and camps
- Exploring our new woodland treehouse
- Wild food foraging including what wild foods are safe to eat
- Making crafts from natural, sustainable materials
- Green woodwork skills
- Bushcraft skills and nature awareness
- Hunting for bugs and insects
- Tracking and watching wildlife
- Playing active outdoor games
- Listening to stories around the campfire
Every School holiday
The club runs in all school holidays and half terms, except the chilly holidays at Christmas and February half term. See the availability on our events page for more information. In the holidays we’re out in the woods Tuesday – Thursday from 9.00am until 5.00pm. In Summer 2020 you can only book for a 3 day block, but October 2020 we will return to taking bookings for one or more days.
And very safe!
The group will be safely supervised in all these activities by our trained and experienced staff, who will lead them on exciting adventures into the magical woods. All staff are qualified group leaders, first aid trained and DBS checked.
We are taking extra hygiene and safety measures during the COVID 19 pandemic.
- We will be asking that anyone who is displaying coronavirus symptoms, or who lives with someone who does, not to attend the setting. That includes children and staff who work here.
- Cleaning our hands more often than usual. Within our sessions we will be developing routines to ensure children understand when and how to wash their hands, making sure they wash them thoroughly for at least 20 seconds using running water and soap and dry them thoroughly with a disposable towel, or use alcohol hand rub or sanitiser ensuring that all parts of the hands are covered. We have set up more tippy taps (to ensure running water for handwashing) around the camp. Asking that you wash your hands on arrival and departure.
- Ensuring everyone attending understand good respiratory hygiene by promoting the ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’ approach.
- Implementing an enhanced cleaning schedule, ensuring surfaces touched by children and staff are cleaned regularly, including, door handles and play equipment, see below for details.
- Tools– All users will be asked to wash their hands thoroughly before and after use. The tool handle will be wiped with alcohol gel between uses
- Mud Kitchen– All mud kitchen equipment will be disinfected at the beginning of the week and after each 3 day block.
- Toilet– An extra toilet will be available, simple ‘wee behind a tree/tarpaulin’ to encourage lack of surface touching. Tippy tap setup outside temporary toilet for handwashing. Hand sanitiser station placed outside compost toilet to apply before and after entering toilet/using door handles. Contact points in toilet disinfected between groups. Tippy tap setup outside compost toilet for handwashing.
- Circle time activities– To be carried out in larger space away from enclosed seating area, to allow for 2m spacing. Songs, stories etc.
- Seating– asking everyone to keep a 2 metre spacing if they sit on the benches around the fire for snacks, drinks or rest.
- Food/drink– Asking parents to pack all food and drink their child will need for the day. We will not be providing any shared snacks or drinks.
- Hammocks – Each group will have their own hammock. These will be aired well between sessions.
Having said all these things, holiday club will still have the special element that has been exciting and entertaining so many children for many years.
We want your children to experience something distinct and special. We know what adventure means to children and understand that school holidays are supposed to be fun.