Woodland Adventure Club
An exciting holiday club based nr Exeter
School holidays can be boring – but not when they’re wild! Give your child a chance to explore the great outdoors in a safe, supported environment with our very special ‘Woodland Adventure Club’. Our Forest School Holiday Club is the THE most exciting club around. We are conveniently based in beautiful woodland at Grammarcombe Woods, Ashcombe Estate, near Exeter.
Next Holiday Dates
Summer Holidays 2022
25th July – 29th July
1st Aug – 5th Aug
8th Aug – 12th Aug
15th Aug – 19th Aug
22 Aug – 26th Aug
30th Aug – 2nd Sept (Tues – Fri only)
How Much Does It Cost?
Per day 9.00am – 5.00pm
First child – £35 a day per child
Sibling rate – £33 a day per child
How Do I Book?
“Check availability” to be taken to the booking page and book the date(s) you require. Please note that online booking will close at least 48 hours before the day so do book well in advance. For Week 6 please click here to BOOK
What others have to say...
Compared to other holiday clubs that my son has taken part it, this is by far the best. All other care seems too removed from the basic needs of children, which I believe are to be in a natural environment. Since my son left he is constantly looking around with his owl eyes and listening with his Deer Ears and spotting tracks and spiders and other wonders of our natural habitat.
We had marshmallows on the campfire and we had a story.
Childs favourite parts of the day at Woodland Adventure Club
Today I did drawing in the long grass with the grass hoppers. My friend came over to play with me and then we all gathered up an played an animal game. The first time I was a puppy, the second a monkey and the third I was a tiger. We all went back to eat to get our lunch and then we went where we where before, next to the pond where we had our lunch. And then I got loads of prickles on my feet and then we went back to the campfire
Diary of my week, Farragh Elesedy from Summer.
When I did my necklace, When i was picking up flowers and making them smell nice – by rubbing them between my fingers. Pink and purple and some mint.
Childs favourite parts of the day – WAC
Thank you to Phil and his team, the children all had a wonderful day and are looking forward to coming again
Persephone Hellier Oct 14
Went in the hammock and pond dipping and I picked up tadpoles and fish eggs. When we sat out in the sun having our lunch, we can hear the birds sing and see the cows and hear them mooing.
Childs favourite parts of the day at Woodland Adventure Club
Sophia had a fantastic three days at WAC. She loved all the experiences and really relished the opportunity to do some activities such as wood carving and fire lighting that allowed her to be responsible. The helpers were all incredibly patient, calm, friendly and knowledgeable . I would definitely recommend the experience for boys and girls. Thank-you!
A lovely fun filled day in the woods. My son attended 3 sessions and did different activities on each day. There wasn’t a DVD, Xbox or DS in sight!!
After the first day my 6 year old said he wanted to go the the Woodland Adventure Club everyday for the whole holiday, so I’m guessing he liked it! The staff were also very accommodating and inclusive of my older son who has a mobility disability. A great holiday club.
What we do
Woodland Adventure Club is an outdoors holiday club set in beautiful woodland at Grammarcombe Woods, Ashcombe Estate, near Exeter.
With guidance from our expert outdoors staff, youngsters learn bushcraft skills like fire lighting and green woodwork, discover new things in nature, enjoy the bugs, animal tracks and wild places and more. With a maximum of 15 children each day, they will gain new skills, increase in confidence and self esteem and develop a greater connection to the natural world. Our experienced Forest School Leaders make sure that every youngster at Woodland Adventure Club enjoys a unique woodland experience. Woodland Adventure Club is suitable for ages 5+ (must have turned 5 by the September before joining us – school Year 1 age).
There’s so much to do, we can’t list it all – but this gives you an idea of the fun in store.
- Lighting campfires using fire steels
- Cooking over the campfire – from vegetarian choices to camping favourites
- Monkeying about in hammocks in our woodland playground
- Building great adventure dens and camps
- Exploring our new woodland treehouse
- Wild food foraging including what wild foods are safe to eat
- Making crafts from natural, sustainable materials
- Green woodwork skills
- Bushcraft skills and nature awareness
- Hunting for bugs and insects
- Tracking and watching wildlife
- Playing active outdoor games
- Listening to stories around the campfire
Every School holiday
The club runs in all school holidays and half terms. Please click on ‘check availability’ and follow the booking link for more information.
And very safe!
The group will be safely supervised in all these activities by our trained and experienced staff, who will lead them on exciting adventures into the magical woods. All staff are qualified group leaders, first aid trained and DBS checked.
We are taking extra hygiene and safety measures during the COVID 19 pandemic.
We are adhering to all government issued guidelines and legal restrictions during the current COVID-19 pandemic. This includes taking extra hygiene and safety measures. In the case of COVID-19 related cancellation/postponement please see our refund and cancellation policy.
- Symptoms – We will be asking that anyone who is displaying COVID-19 symptoms, or who lives with someone who does, not to attend the setting. That includes children and staff who work here.
- Social distancing – We are asking all staff and participants to adhere to social distancing guidelines whilst on site. The planning and set up of activities has been adjusted to allow for this.
- Circle time activities– To be carried out in larger space away from enclosed seating area, to allow for 2m spacing. Songs, stories etc.
- Seating– Everyone will be asked to keep a 2 metre spacing if they sit on the benches around the fire for snacks, drinks or rest.
- Hand cleansing – Cleaning our hands more often than usual. Within our sessions we will be developing routines to ensure children understand when and how to wash their hands, making sure they wash them thoroughly for at least 20 seconds using running water and soap and dry them thoroughly with a disposable towel, or use alcohol hand rub or sanitiser ensuring that all parts of the hands are covered. We have set up more tippy taps (to ensure running water for handwashing) around the camp. Asking that you wash your hands on arrival and departure.
- Catch it, bin it, kill it – Ensuring everyone attending understands good respiratory hygiene by promoting the ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’ approach.
- Equipment cleaning – Implementing an enhanced cleaning schedule, ensuring surfaces touched by children and staff are cleaned regularly, including, door handles and play equipment, see below for details.
- Tools– All users will be asked to wash their hands thoroughly before and after use. The tool handle will be wiped with alcohol gel between uses.
- Mud Kitchen– We have acquired multiple sets of mud kitchen equipment. Each set will be left for 72 hours before use by a different group.
- Toilet–A hand sanitiser station will be placed outside the compost toilet to apply before and after entering toilet/using door handles. Contact points in the toilet will be disinfected between groups.
- Hammocks – We have acquired multiple hammocks. Each hammock will be aired well for 72 hours between uses by different groups.
- Food/drink– Food and drink will only be provided where stated. Where it is not provided, please bring all food and drink that will be needed for the session. Where drinks are provided, it would be appreciated if you could bring your own cup/mug. Where food is provided it will be served in individual portions (no sharing of food will be allowed).
Having said all these things, holiday club will still have the special element that has been exciting and entertaining so many children for many years!
We want your children to experience something distinct and special. We know what adventure means to children and understand that school holidays are supposed to be fun.